Thursday, June 13, 2013

Stuffs

Here is the latest update from Elder Mellor from 6/10/13! He had a great week and met probably his favorite person in the world. I am so grateful that he is safe and well! 

So I didn't really write down any experiences that I wanted to share with you guys like I normally do so I don't forget, so I am going to have to wing this. 
 
We have been working with this lady named Tonja since before I got here and she has had problems with smoking.  Finally on this Saturday we are baptizing her if she stays off the smoking.  Also I am confirming her, this will be my first time doing this.  Another thing is that most likely my companion that is training me will be moving to a different area in July, and I will probably be getting a new one.  I am not really worried though.  Ok maybe a little bit.
 
The Elder Bednar conference was great it was 3 hours long too!! Although we had to stay the night at the Elder's apartment in Hershey, but it was kind of cool because all of the street lamps there had Hershey's Kisses on the tops of them!  I wanted to get a picture but I never got the chance to.  We all got to shake his hand at the end and I gave him one of those one handed handshake/hug things.  So I did get to hug him like I wanted too!  Then afterwards we all took a picture with him, the three of the 70 and the mission president and his wife.  I really have no idea what they are going to do with it though.  I hope they send it to me.  There were three of the quorum of the 70 there too by the way.  He is really funny when he is not in general conference.  It was really cool to see him in an environment where he could be more relaxed.  At one point he called one of the 70 to address a comment and he just walked over to a table thing that was next to the podium and just sat on it and was just chilling, sucking on a mint (which he popped a couple in his mouth while he was talking, he was pretty skillful about it too.  I barely noticed).  I was sitting in the very front pew and he was right there.  Where I was sitting when Bednar sat down his gaze naturally settled on me.  he was looking right at me!  It was a little unnerving because he has really dark eyes and it felt like he was peeking into my soul. 
 
This conference was not a lecture from Elder Bednar.  It was more of a workshop in the sense that he asked a lot of questions and we asked him a lot of questions.  I was actually lucky enough to be able to participate and answer a question he had, and I made him laugh too.  I looked behind me and I was like "wow that's a lot of people".  He just busted up it was pretty cool.  He told us one of the study methods he has is to take a new inexpensive paper back copy of the Book of Mormon and just mark it up all over in relating to a question he had or something he wants to study.  Then he writes a one page summery of what he learned, then puts it on a bookshelf.  He has about 455 of these books too by the way on a bookshelf at his home.  He told us how his sons often ask if they could read them and his response was hilarious! He said that if they tried he would cut their hands off (he said he literally told him that too!).  Then they asked what about after he died. He said and I quote: "I will spend my last breath on striking a match and burning that bookshelf so that you wont be able to see it.  And that I will make sure I don't go to the spirit world until it is all ash."  It was hilarious!  I wish you guys could have been there.  The principle of that was to emphasis that spiritual knowledge cannot be transferred from one person to another, but it has to come by learning from the Holy Ghost.
 
Oh dang what else did he talk about?  I know it was three hours of greatness, but I am having a hard time remembering it, of course everything will probably come back to me once I have to leave.  If I remember anything else awesome I will send an email out to everyone about it, if the computer doesn't kick me off for sending a bunch of pictures.
 
 
So one of our recent converts (Chris) are moving to Vermont (moving in with his girlfriends Grandma and his girlfriend so hopefully he will be able to stay true and go on a mission.  He has had us all worried).  Anyway since it was our last week with him we decided to watch the movie 17 Miracles with him.  Near the end of the movie I had to leave to go give a blessing to one of the members mom, at the hospital (the rest of my companionship stayed there) so we gave him a blessing before I left so we could all be a part of it.  I wasn't the one giving the blessing though.  For the members mom she wasn't going to die or anything it was just a surgery that she has done before.

And now, for pictures! 

Elder Mellor made himself a Birthday cake the day after his Birthday. Haha 

Elder Mellor now 20 years old! Can you believe it?!

Elder Mellor really appreciated his Birthday cards from Grandma and Grandpa and from Aunt Jeanette and her family! He thought it was really cool that you had to blow out the candles in the Yoda card. 

Elder Mellor wants a cool flag like this eventually to remind him of his mission! Apparently it is hanging up in his Companion's doctor's office. 

That is all for this week! Until next time!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment