Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Hello from PA!



Here is Elder Mellor's weekly update from 6/3/13! Let's start out with some pictures!


Elder Mellor cut his own hair! (With help from his companion)


SOme treasures that Elder Mellor found! The bottom two are from some candy shop and the top two are from an Amish market which is pretty cool! Its honeycomb and real maple syrup (which he just drinks because apparently it tastes better by itself than on stuff.) He said he was going to send a little bit to his family which probably means his big sister won't get any. BOO. Hahaha


Elder Mellor's Birthday Doughnut!


He actually succeeded in making honey sesame shrimp from a honey sesame chicken mix. I am so proud!


Poor little Spike Jr. He is keeping him under a light to keep him warm but accidentally hit him with the light and flattened him on the top! And he makes fun of his big sister for killing cacti...

And without further adieu here is Elder Mellor's letter! He is doing so well and teaching and growing and it is a miracle. I am so proud of him! See for yourself! :) 

So we had a situation on, I think it was Tuesday.  So we got home Tuesday night at 9:00 PM like we always do and it smelled really bad.  At first my companion thought that my  other companion threw away chicken or something and that's what it was.  But then we also heard a weird noise like the toilet was running (it is a little broken where you have to jiggle the handle to get it to stop flushing continuously).  So I went up to the toilet to jiggle the handle, but it wasn't running..... DO DO DO DO DO DO DO DO TWILIGHT ZONE!!!!  
 
HAHA just kidding.  So we looked in our supply closet/place where the water heater is stored and heard the water running, but couldn't find the leak, then I stepped on it in the carpet.  A closer inspection revealed that there was like rat poop on the ground.  So we have a water leak and rodents.  So we called the landlord at around 9:30 and he said he would be there in an hour.  He didn't get there till about 11:40.  I was so mad because I had to stay up and wait for him!  He just turned the water off and said he would come back in the morning.  Well we still had to shower and we had district meeting the next morning.  So we ended up taking a shower at the YMCA that was on the way to the church, where we had the meeting.  Apparently YMCA's don't have shower curtains, it is just a square room with shower heads popping out of the walls.So my companions and I had to see each other's naked backside.  I am just glad that it wasn't till after we finished showering that all the old men came in to shower, so at least I didn't see a ton of naked old men.
 
Eventually that day our landlord got our water fixed and found out that the pipe had been chewed through!  So we really did have some kind of rodent.  He set traps and hopefully he catches it.  So that was my adventure for the week.
 
I have been thinking of a lot of different ideas for inventions, so I decided to get a notebook and write them down and draw diagrams of them.  Unfortunately I don't know how to draw so I couldn't do that part.  On that same topic does anyone know how a mister system works (you know like the ones at Disney Land or in the ticket line for the movie theatre)?  I had a really cool idea regarding that. 
 
Also some people have been wanting me to talk about the people I have been teaching so here is the run-down.  I think I already talked about the person that told us they wanted a break from us for a while.  It is the person who her recent convert husband was going to baptize.  So I will skip her.
 
One of the people we are working with her name is Tonja.  (As a side note she also has a daughter named Kazhia, except she spells it differently.  And yes she is black before you ask)  She has been taught long before I got here and she has had trouble quitting smoking, but we think that she will be able to stop and be baptized on the 15th of this month, so that is our goal for her.  She is a stay at home mom.
 
Another person we are working with is named Lovely (my companion never met her and just had an address and he asked someone who wasn't her "Are you Lovely?"  I bet that was awkward) (and yes she is also black, to be specific from Haiti).  She is really cool and progressing well.  She is a stay at home mom and is pregnant with her 3rd child and she is about 8 months in.
 
Lastly we have been trying to get ahold of this particular fellow ever since I got here, and yesterday we finally got to sit down and talk with him.  His name is Nathan and he works at a place called Eat-N-Park.  I think it used to be like a sonic or something, but I am just guessing from the name.  Now it is a place like Village Inn and it is just as popular too, they are everywhere.  He gave us some pie and it was super good! (he makes the pies there too from what I gather).  Anyway he grew up when he was little as a Mormon but doesn't really remember any of it and wants to know more about it.  His wife is awesome and really interested in it too.  She is really cool and fun and calls herself immature a lot but it is just fun.  and they latched on the message very quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment